Friday, September 20, 2019

Positivity and cancer treatment

 This was one of my more popular posts on Quora.

The question was whether the brain is your best weapon against cancer. This was my answer.

I'm a cancer survivor.
One of my biggest bugaboos is people who insist that a positive attitude can treat cancer. Blaming cancer victims for their cancer, because of their allegedly poor attitude, is cruel and superstitious.
My experience is that cancer causes depression, even if you don't consciously know you have it. I saw this in my father as well. Subliminally, you know something is wrong.
If the treatment works, you become less depressed. People think that means that the less depressed people are somehow curing their own cancer. That's mixing up cause and effect.
I've been watching a friend trying to cure his mother's cancer with positive attitude. It's not working. He's keeping her positive, and she's dying anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment