Friday, February 22, 2019

features of autism

So -- if you ever noticed me -- which you probably didn't -- you might have noticed that I write novels with characters on the autism spectrum.  I got into this after my kids and I were diagnosed with autism spectrum disorders.  I concluded that everyone in my nuclear and my ex's extended families had autistic features.

I've been on Quora a lot recently answering questions about autism.  I was looking at my answers there and liked this one, so I thought I'd copy it here.  The question was about what a person with Aspergers is like.



You're going to find a lot of diversity amongst us. We're not all the same.

Some clues as to differences you might notice, though:
  • Flat affect (few facial expressions)
  • Poor prosody (melody of speech)
  • Hyper and hypo sensitivities to sensory simulation (noises, tastes, textures, colors, lights)
  • Lack of eye contact
  • Trivia obsessions
  • Digestive problems
  • Sleep issues
  • Difficulty with transitions
  • Preferences for routine or ritual
  • Self stimming
  • Melt downs
  • Talking too much or too little
  • Doesn't understand why you're offended
See Also

No comments:

Post a Comment